Fall 2019-Spring 2020 Submissions are Open!
The Dulcimer is now using Google Forms to accept submissions!!!
Some Notes on Successful “Networking, Resume, and Interviews”
National College Media Convention, 10-25-18
By: Emily Bartlett
- Prepare, give first, ask second
- Focus on what you can give
- One page
- No more than 3 bullet points explaining each job/experience/project/etc.
- SAVE IT AS A PDF
- Qs & As
- Why do you want this job?
- Say something specific to the job
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Give an answer that will indicate the type of projects you should work on
- Tell me what you know about (insert company here)?
- Look up the company’s values
- What are some of your weaknesses?
- Give an answer that indicates self-reflection
- Ex. “I am a perfectionist, so I have trouble delegating tasks. But I am working on it by doing X, Y, and Z.
- General Tips
- Always ask questions
- Prepare questions in advance
- Do not ask questions about pay, benefits, vacation time, etc.
- Always ask questions
What We’re Reading
The Female of the Species – Mindy McGinnis
“Sad. Exhilarating. Explosive. Really Woke.” – Cameron Wade
Cinder – Marissa Meyer
“If you like fractured-fairytale stories, the entire series is for you.” – Mandi Delong
Spinning Silver – Naomi Novik
“Feminist Rumplestiltskin.” – Sarah Moore
Ancillary Justice – Ann Leckie
“One of the best space-empire stories with an unusual narrator.” – Cecelia Poehlman
Norwegian Wood – Haruki Murakami
“Vivid. Touching. The novel has a timeless soul.” – Will Darragh
First Blog of the New Dulcimer
Hello to Dulcimer members, staff, and anyone else who has found their way to this blog.
I wanted to take some time to give you all an update about what this blog is, what our website is going to be, and general information about the future of The Dulcimer.
So, what is this website? This is the official website for The Dulcimer; you can find out more about us on our About page. We try to give the most up-to-date information about us on the home page, so keep an eye out there for what’s going on. If you want to learn more about our staff, look on the tabs for the previous school year’s staff. This year’s current staff page is still being created as we fill more staff positions for the year. We have a writing tips page created by members of our staff if you are interested. The Staff Blog section (which is where this is) is going to be a place where staff can update you on Dulcimer stuff, talk about the struggles of writing or doing art, and just general share literary/arts related stuff. You can find our contact information on its page. Finally, we have a page dedicated to application forms. If you are a Mercer student and interested in applying to staff, YOU SHOULD APPLY!
In the future, we want to build out this site as a space for Mercer students to publish their work and get feedback from the community. We are currently working on designing the digital publishing space, and we would love for you to share your art and verbal submissions with us. Stay tuned with that.
Myself and other staff are going to try to start using this blog regularly as a place of communication, so watch our social media for updates with that.
Here’s to a great year for The Dulcimer!
Applications for 2018-2019 Now Open!